Today I took advantage of the awesome weather and took Logan to Memorial Park in Athens. At this park they have a huge lake that has ducks and tons of turtles and a walking/hiking trail all the way around it. You can fish there also and from what I learned from one of the fisherman, you can catch bream, crappy and bass. There are several playgrounds, picnic tables, grills, dog park, volleyball court, basketball courts, pool, and best of all a zoo! Logan and I had a picnic lunch. He enjoyed some Apple/Kiwi/Mango baby food and apple juice while I ate some yummy Mickey D's. After we ate I lathered him up in sunscreen and loaded him into the stroller so we could walk around the lake. He liked the ducks so I'm going to start freezing stale bread so we can feed them next time we go. After our walk, he had a bottle and we headed over to the zoo. The zoo consisted of native GA animals like deer, turkey, bobcats, owls, alligators, eagles, snakes, groundhogs, beavers, hawks and a huge bear. There was nothing really special there, but it's a good place to spend an afternoon. It was small, kind of reminded me of Warner Park when we were little, minus the monkeys and tigers. The best part about it was that it was all FREE! I have a feeling that we will be making more and more visits there this summer. Of course I forgot the camera, so no pictures..I'll do better next time!
Logan went to the Dr. yesterday. He weighed 15 lbs 14 oz, 21%. Length: 26.5 inches, 51%. Head circumference: I don't remember but it was in the 60's%. They are still concerned about his weight, but we are working on it. I'm having to pump so I can monitor how many ounces he's taking in. They want him to have 28-32 oz per day plus solids 3 times a day. Whatever I can't get with the pump I have to supplement with formula. I talked with a Lactation Consultant at the hospital and she is helping me increase my supply and told me to take omega fatty acids to increase the fat in my milk. I'm also taking fenugreek 4 pills 3 times a day, which is already starting to help! Since Logan started the formula, my supply started to go down. The LC also thinks my Dr is wacko. Her point of view is that it doesn't matter how many oz, etc, he takes in, if they can't control his acid reflux then it's still going to come back up. Which I agree with especially since he's been spitting up a ton more the last 2 weeks or so. The LC also said that 32 oz is way too much, since breastfed babies normally get 24-25 oz/day. The volume of milk doesn't increase but the amount of calories in the milk adjusts with the babies demand, unlike formula that has the same amount of calories/oz making the baby have to take in more ounces to increase his calorie intake. They switched his medicine again. He's on prevacid now...before I thought he was on Prevacid because that's what the NP told me she would call in if I needed it but instead they called in Prilosec and didn't tell me. It was generic on the bottle so I didn't know any different. If this doesn't work and his symptoms persist they are going to refer me to a GI specialist. My crazy Dr. thinks Logan is weaning, but if he were weaning he'd refuse the breast completely, but instead he just gets really PO'd after a few minutes when it's not coming out as fast as it does with the bottle. HELLO-being eager to nurse is NOT weaning! Dumbass. I'm not going to see her again! She also said that most of her breastfed patients wean by 9 months. Well no shit, they are following your crazy advice of supplementing with formula to an otherwise happy, healthy baby, which KILLS supply, trust me, I know first hand!!! Once my supply is back up, hopefully in a week or so, I'm going to cut out the formula completely. YAY!! No more stinky stuff...hopefully. If I'm unable to get my supply up on my own, I'm going to call my OB and see if she will prescribe me Reglan, which is what they give adoptive moms, moms with low supply or wish to relactate. Then if all that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to give in a get formula...but lets not think about that right now! Gotta stay positive!! I'm not going to stop til I've exhausted all efforts. So, please don't give me any comments on how I should just go ahead and do formula. I'm the Mommy now, I get to make that decision.
1 comment:
Sounds like you and Logan had a wonderful day! Caleb is from Athens and has mentioned Memorial Park to me before and we're so going to have to take Noah soon!
Post a Comment