Friday, November 7, 2008

Newbornness is fading...



I highly doubt newbornness is a word but you all know I tend to make up my own vocabulary at times. So this is my disclaimer to Laura J. (the English major) so she doesn't call and tell me how awful my grammar is, which I know is really bad most of the time anyways.


Today, Logan's umbilical cord stump fell off. It's the last of the things that happen in the first few weeks of life. These three weeks have flown by. I can't believe that he's already entering in the "infant" stage and leaving the "newborn" stage behind. He's growing out of most of his NB size clothes, his NB diapers are long gone, he can finally have a real bath today, his little head is not cone shaped anymore, and now his umbilical cord is gone. I know, this is really silly, but it's the little things that get lost in the everyday and I'm trying really hard to savor and remember every minute of this.


I weighed myself yesterday and then weighed while holding him and according to that "accurate" method of measurement, he now weighs roughly 10 lbs. I'm not sure I believe it though because it was just Monday that he weighed 8 lbs, 7 oz. He is a little piggy and eats ALL the time, so who knows. I must add that I am now down to my prepregnancy weight and back in my old jeans for about a week now!! Still got some work to do, but I'm glad to be out of maternity clothes (for the next couple months anyways ;) ).


I've found my calling in life. It's not to be a career woman, it's not to be a doctor or a lawyer...it's to be a mother. This is what I was made to do. People always thought I was crazy because I didn't strive to have some important sounding career. I didn't want a Master's degree or to be a corporate president, etc. Yes, I went to school, got a degree...but while getting that degree I made sure it would work around a family, because having a family was what I really wanted in the end. At 17, I decided to start college to get my Medical Transcription diploma. I told my mom that, that was something I could do from home once I had children. At 17, and probably even earlier, I knew exactly what I wanted and now I have it and I'm loving every single minute of it. Luckily, I have a wonderful husband who is career oriented and has one of those important sounding titles and brings home the bacon so we can have a family.


Speaking of Brent, he is doing so good with Logan. As soon as he gets home, he pretty much takes over and spends every second he can with his baby boy. We did have a little situation the other day. He came home early to watch the baby so I could go vote on Tuesday. The news had be talking of extremely long lines and I didn't want to wait in line with a newborn. I left at 3:50. I was trying to get there before people started getting off work. I go right in and vote, no wait whatsoever, so I decided to run down to Dollar General for a couple odds and ends we needed. At 4:20, I get a frantic phone call from Brent. He's freaking out because Logan is crying and he can't get him to stop, he said Logan was crying harder than he'd ever seen him cry. So, to save Brent's sanity, I rush to the checkout and head home. I was about 5 miles from the house and got there in no time at all. He had finally got Logan calmed down for the most part, but Brent was a total mess. Sweat was dripping off his forehead and he was a nervous wreck. Turns out Logan was hungry, although I don't know how cause he had just nursed an hour before this (see, I said he was a little piggy)!! I'm not sure I'm allowed to leave the house without a milk stash in the fridge from now on, hehe!!


1 comment:

Taylor said...

Being a mother is great isn't it? It is definitely the best job around in my opinion ;)