Thursday, January 8, 2009

Diet and Ferber

I didn't think my diet was going so well, until I stepped on the scale today. I've lost 7 lbs!!!!! Yayyyyyy!!!!!!

Enough about me, on to Logan.

Last night we tried the "Ferber Method." The gist of it is to lay him down drowsy but not asleep, if he cries wait 5 minutes and go in and soothe him without picking him up, rocking or using the passy. Once he's calmed down, leave the room. If he cries again, wait another 10 minutes before soothing him....you basically add an additional 5 minutes each time. On the second night you wait 10 minutes the first time, adding an additional 5 minutes each time. It's suppose to only take a week and they will fall asleep without a fuss, once you lay them down.

So at 8:30 last night we gave him a bath with the nighttime lavender soap. Then, I nursed him til he was done. Then laid him down....at this point I was just going to let him cry it out, til he fell asleep on his own. He cried and cried and cried. Brent dealt with it worse than I did, but he's not the one with a baby stuck to his boob every night for hours, so it probably seemed worse to him than it did to me. Plus I had to endure the screaming after his first shots and this was nothing compared to that! Brent started researching online about infant bedtime routines. He found this Ferber method so we decided to give that a shot. So I go upstairs to soothe Logan. It had probably been 10 minutes, instead of the recommended 5. He calms down without me picking him up, which was surprising to me. Then I walk out. Before I could even get the door shut, he was screaming again, but I remained strong. I went downstairs and turned the monitor way down. It didn't seem so bad since I could barely hear it. I would have turned it off but I was afraid he would choke. Choking and kidnapping are my biggest fears, by the way. After a few minutes of really screaming, he started to calm down a little...little by little he stopped crying all together. After 7 minutes he was asleep!!!! He did get up 4 times before 7 a.m. I have no idea if it was due to this or not, but I feel good enough about it to try it again.

As of right now, we're trying this for nap time too. I put him down at 12:45, after his noon feeding. He was really awake when I put him down. I even tried rocking him for a minute to get him drowsy but he was more interested in the sun ray on the wall behind me than he was going to sleep. For a while he was awake but not crying at all, not even whining just a little. Then 20 minutes later he started whining. He whined for 3 minutes and now it sounds as though he is asleep. I'm not brave enough just yet to go up and check on him. I'm afraid I might wake him if I do........Damn dog barked, now he's whining again. I guess we start over now.....wish me luck!

1 comment:

Taylor said...

That is by far the best method. It can be very stressful hearing your baby scream for you - but after two or three days they get the routine down and it becomes so easy. The few stressful days are worth what you get in return. We used that method with both Tris & Jackson.

Hang in there mom, you're doing a great job!