Saturday, July 17, 2010

36 weeks...

What?!?! I can't be this far along. No way am I really 9 months pregnant. It just can't be!

But, I guess it's a good thing that I am because the last couple days I've realized that I'm done. Completely done. I've had a great, smooth, easy going pregnancy. No problems what so ever, not even back pain...until about a week ago. My hips are starting to spread, which aggravates me more when I'm trying to sleep. My back is starting to give me issues. I'm starting to get a little sciatica, so the shooting pain down my hip is annoying. I'm waddling. Nate has been really rough on me lately, especially in the evenings and I swear if Logan bounces on my stomach one more time my water just might break. My feet are starting to swell at times, especially in the evening. Nothing major, but just something else to add to the mix. My blood pressure has been up and down. Mostly down, but I can definitely tell when it's up. Most of the time it goes up for no reason, not anything related to stress. Today it went up while I was hanging up clothes. Weird, I know, but I guess that gives me an excuse to put that on Brent ;). I feel bad for even complaining about these little things because I've had it so easy but whatever, I'm pregnant, I think I deserve to complain just a little bit.

So, now that I'm done venting, I did get a little bit of relief today. Today I went and toured Athens Regional Medical Center. Our insurance changed at the first of the year to a plan that is accepted at both Athens Regional and St. Marys, where I delivered Logan. My preference is St. Mary's but when I go into labor if the majority of my Dr's laboring women are at Athens Regional they will ask me to come there. They said it rarely happens but they just wanted to give me a heads up just in case.

I've heard lots of horror stories about this place...how dirty and old it was, etc. I truly was expecting to walk into a place like Hutcheson back home and it be more of an old hospital type feel but I was actually really impressed. It was all new. They just finished their renovations about 2 years ago. The Labor and Delivery rooms were large, not as big as St. Mary's, but it's not like I will have a ton of people in there anyways, especially with all the family out of town. The Mother/Baby Unit was new as well. The Mother/Baby rooms were somewhat small, but once again I don't typically have a lot of visitors.

Some differences that I saw between Athens and St Marys...
Athens Regional has wireless monitors so you can be up and walking around even if you're suppose to be continuously monitored. These wireless monitors are also waterproof so you can get in the tub or shower with them. Also, Athens Regional automatically does skin to skin. At St. Mary's it is encouraged in their childbirth classes but you have to request it during labor/delivery. Athens Regional has a Lactation Consultant on duty 24 hrs a day M-F, Sat and Sun they are there 9a-9p, but are on call through the night if you need them. They also have a free breastfeeding support group that meets Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for any breastfeeding issues, support, etc, that you may need or want. It's also a place to meet other breastfeeding moms and learn any tips and tricks from them. St. Mary's also has LC's on duty almost 24 hrs/day as well and they also offer a support group but only on Monday's. At Athens Regional you and the baby have the same nurse. At St. Mary's the baby has a different nurse. The only issue I have is that at St. Mary's you are in the same room from the time you are admitted to the time you are discharged. At Athens Regional, you are in Labor and Delivery until the baby is here and you've recovered for 1-2 hrs then they transfer you to a different room (Mother/Baby) to finish your stay. It's not that big of a deal to change rooms, it's just nicer to get to stay in the same one. Oh, and the overflow rooms at Athens Regional are just generic, old, sterile hospital rooms, so hopefully if we have to go there Nate will choose a day when L&D is not full. So, all in all I think I will be happy with which ever hospital I end up at. My mind has been eased and I'm so glad I went and did the tour. I almost think ARMC may have a head up since they offer so many breastfeeding support classes. I had to use those a lot with St. Mary's and wished at the time they did it more than once a week.

Oh and on a super cute side note. We were watching an old western movie with John Wayne. When Logan saw John Wayne on TV he thought it was PawPaw! HAHAHA! He's so adorable.

No comments: